River Restoration, Upper Wensum Phase Three
Norfolk Rivers Internal Drainage Board
Atkins Global and Raynham Estate
- Creation of pools to increase habitat complexity and/or to act as sediment trap at key locations.
- Berm installation using earth and woody material or gravel to narrow the channel and improve planform.
- Bank re-profiling and embankment removal as a source of material for creation and to improve floodplain connectivity.
- Bed raising with locally generated materials e.g. from pool creation, or from gravel import.
- Large wood installations to improve habitat complexity and/or selectively narrow the channel.
- Daylighting to improve light conditions for target aquatic plants and improve riparian habitat complexity/condition.
- Use of large wood to kick-start hydromorphological process.
- Tree planting to improve riparian habitat complexity and variable shading of the channel.
- Embayment (backwater) creation to provide off main channel refuge and improve habitat complexity.
- Spill channel to be used during high flows as additional channel and to allow water levels in embayment to rise with sediment levels maintained.
- Fish easement to allow smaller fish to navigate local head difference.
- Five Rivers worked in partnership with Atkins Global and their design team to deliver this large-scale river restoration scheme. Our combined experience and knowledge produced excellent results.
- Our work improved habitat for local ecology, working with ecologists from Five Rivers and Atkins we were able to tailor works to provide the most benefit.
- Use of Five Rivers’ specialist plant with bio hydraulic oil, low ground pressure wide tracks and tilt heads reduced the impact of the works on the local environment and ecology.
- Our work resulted in significant improvement in the physical condition and biodiversity of 1.74km of the River Wensum, and the creation of suitable habitats for several key species.
- River restoration work supported Countryside Stewardship applications
- For more details of our river restoration construction services contact one of our specialist team.