Riverbank enhancement with FlexMSE – Beaminster
River Brit, Beaminster
- Removing 20m of the existing wooden drainage pipe outfall and alter the outfall point so it runs parallel to the river rather than flowing vertically straight into the river.
- Extracting the existing failing oak headwall.
- Excavating out and reduce the sharp bend in the river which is contributing to the high level of erosion at the site.
- Installing FlexMSE riverbank revetment from the waters edge to the top of the existing bank (height 0.75m).
- Hydroseeding the entire working area with a variety of aquatic species and plant 100 small plugs plants into the FlexMSE geomodular wall.
- The soil that was excavated on-site was used to backfill the new bio-engineered front edge.
- A small 7t excavator was used to remove any rubble to reduce the risk of increased sedimentation and material being dropped in the river.
- Old logs, stumps, and root balls were removed to allow access for the excavator.
- Creating an aesthetic riverbank that suited the client’s need.
- The re-profiled bank reduced the risk of erosion and increased habitat diversity via the seeding of marginal plant species.
- The developing root systems of the plants inserted within the FlexMSE geomodular bags will strengthen the wall.