FiveRivers have been delivering schemes in rivers and wetland habitats across the UK since 1997 and we are one of the leading providers of nutrient neutrality services. Our comprehensive natural capital service helps housing developers, local authorities, and landowners in meeting their requirements for nutrient neutrality or diversifying into natural capital markets such as biodiversity net gain.
Nutrient Neutrality (NN) is the system of ensuring that a development project or site does not add a nutrient burden in to a river catchment by ensuring no net increase in nutrients within the catchment. The purpose of the nutrient neutrality mitigation measures is to avoid impacts to the designated sites, rather than compensating for the impacts once they have occurred. Nutrient Neutrality is a condition enforced through the planning system in 32 designated sites, protected by the conservation of Habitats and Species regulations 2017, which are in an unfavourable condition due to excess nutrients such as nitrates and phosphates.
FiveRivers have been a member of the Constructed Wetland Association (CWA) since 2018, and most importantly we are passionate about wetlands and improving water quality. Our nutrient neutrality experts deliver customised solutions tailored to each project’s specific needs. We ensure that a development project or site does not add a nutrient burden in to a river catchment.
Nutrient Neutrality Mitigation
Nutrient neutrality mitigation could include a range of measures including constructed wetlands and land use change within red line boundaries to purchasing credits for off-site mitigation.
Residential development can only happen if the nutrient load, created through additional wastewater from the development, is mitigated. The common blockers to finding and initiating mitigation are as follows:
- Space onsite for mitigation.
- Time limitations, restrictions, and delays.
- Requirement for offsite solutions.
- Expertise needed for credit approval.
- Costs for implementation.
FiveRivers in-house capabilities along with our supplier network allow us to provide a turnkey solution to mitigation blockers. Our involvement with a variety of stakeholders has given us the expertise to deliver nitrate and phosphate wetlands and other nature-based solutions according to the needs of the client.
Nutrient Neutrality Wetlands
Our multi-disciplined teams and supplier network allows FiveRivers to deliver best practice solutions from optioneering and scoping to construction of integrated constructed wetlands (ICWs) to monitoring. The following processes are essential in getting your mitigation solution delivered on the ground with reliable data and technical detail required to meet nutrient legislation standards:
- Optioneering and scoping for the best solution within your redline boundary or separate land parcel.
- Expert understanding of the timescales and processes required to deliver mitigation.
- Nutrient Credit calculations to show scale of offsets for developments and potential credit yield.
- Site investigations to determine viability of mitigation solutions.
- Design of functioning and integrated wetlands.
- Competent construction phase to provide a quality assured product.
- Monitoring, and maintenance expertise to ensure long term function and credit outputs.