FiveRivers experts were brought in when an area of unimproved mesotrophic grassland was at risk from quarry expansion works in Leicestershire.
We successfully translocated 8000m² of this important lowland wet grassland to a carefully re-created receptor site. Five Rivers used our extensive experience of turf translocation to ensure as much of this species-rich grassland was retained as possible. While on site we also carried out works to enhance and connect a river diversion, to increase in channel diversity.
- Translocation of 8000m2 of lowland wet grassland to allow facilitate extension of quarry
- Excavation of receptor to site to replicate conditions at donor site. Removal and stockpiling of 4000m3 of material.
- Construction of 800m stone and bog mat haul road to facilitate movement of materials at this challenging site
- Works to enhance and connect by-pass channel to the River Sence
- Installation of control structure to allow seasonal flooding of grassland
- Provision of a suitably qualified ecologist to supervise works
- All works completed ahead of schedule
- Bespoke turf cutting forks used to ensure minimal loss of material
- Our knowledge over rivers enabled us to add significant value to a previously dug river diversion channel.
- To see more of our habitat translocation services click here or get in touch.