European Eel Trap and Transport
- Design of trapping program and methodology to maximise eel capture
- Management of consent applications and regulator consultation
- Recreational and operational stakeholder consultation and liaison
- Capture of European eel using specialist fyke net and fish traps
- Eel removal and transportation downstream
- To aid survey design and provide added value a hydro acoustic survey was undertaken to map reservoir bathymetry to inform fish trap locations
- Our biosecurity measures were strict, we provided equipment for each site to prevent the spread of non-natives and pathogens
- Detailed knowledge of species ecology was essential for effective design of trapping timings and locations
- Project was delivered over a 9 weeks, both sites were trapped simultaneously.
- Liaison with recreational and operational stakeholders during project planning was essential during early stages of project planning.
- The project was is one of many undertaken by the utility provider to contribute to eel conservation and compliance with the The Eel Regulations (2009)
- Effectively trapped 170 ha for period of nine weeks
- Data collected is invaluable in informing future management actions in relation to European eel and its conservation at the operational sites
- The project demonstrates the commitment of the utility provider to the environment and in particular efforts to conserve eel stocks
- The data provides a robust fisheries baseline data set for both sites, including non-native species, essential for informing future management actions
- Over 8000 non-native invasive signal crayfish were captured and removed.