Salt marsh restoration, Isle of Sheppey
Eastchurch, Isle of Sheppey
Southern Water, Elmley National Nature Reserve
- Installation of bio-engineered erosion protection.
- Installation of a new tiered revetment made using hazel faggots held in place with chestnut posts to match surrounding topography.
- Installation of layers of coir to help retain sediment.
- Retained vegetated turfs utilities to promote growth on new revetment.
- Fiver Rivers were commissioned by Southern Water to repair the tidal zone in an area of salt marsh which was badly eroded by temporary pipework.
- The work carried out to sympathetically restore this highly sensitive habitat located in an SPA, SSSI, RAMSAR site and RSPB reserve.
- Use of specialist plant with bio hydraulic oil, low ground pressure wide tracks and tilt heads reduced the impact of the works on the local environment and ecology.
- Delivered tidal zone habitats
- Reinstated salt marsh
- Works eliminated risk of further erosion
- Reduction in future erosion potential in the area
- For more details of our habitat restoration services contact one of our specialist team.