Lake Fish Surveys – Invasive Species Investigation
Devon / Cornwall
South West Water
Our team used a multi-method fish survey approach to target the range of habitats present in each waterbody. We undertook the following;
- Seine netting;
- Micro-mesh seine netting;
- Fyke netting;
- Electric Fishing;
- Minnow trapping.
- Our experienced team arrived at site with a fleet of boats and a complete range of fish survey equipment. This gave flexibility to ensure site constraints could be overcome and high quality data was collected on schedule.
- We negotiated difficult site access, including boat launching and completed the thirteen waterbodies allocated to us and one additional site, providing extra value for our client.
- The strictest of biosecurity control measures were adhered to between sites. All equipment after each day was ‘Checked’ for non-native species, ‘Cleaned’ using high pressure jet washer & ‘Disinfected’ using DEFRA approved Virkon S.
- The use a variety of fish survey techniques allowed us to target a range of habitats types to ensure that all species and life stages present were recorded.
- Eighteen fish species were recorded across 14 waterbodies, none of which were non-native invasive species.